Leveraging the smartphone – mobile shopping
67 percent of consumers are likely to shop with a retailer that offers mobile coupons
The proliferation and convenience of mobile devices has completely changed shopping behaviors and elevated customer expectations.
Mobile shopping will continue to grow as 41 percent of consumers in the BRP Consumer Study indicate they plan to increase their shopping frequency on a phone or tablet in the next 24 months. Shopping via a phone is just one way that mobile solutions are becoming more pervasive, as many consumers use their mobile devices as a research tool throughout the shopping journey. In fact, 34 percent use their phone while in a store to compare prices and 28 percent look for offers/coupons.
Providing information to consumers via their mobile devices assists customers as they research and shop. According to BRP's special report: “The Mobilization of Retail”, retailers indicate the following are key mobile app/website features: item availability (53 percent), product information (51 percent) and coupons and discounts (40 percent), which all help consumers make better choices and provide incentives to purchase from the brand.
"A retailer's mobile capabilities can be a major driver for where a consumer chooses to shop," said Marty Whitmore, senior vice president and practice lead at BRP. "With 67 percent of consumers choosing a store based on the availability of mobile coupons and 64 percent choosing a store based on product information availability via a mobile device, these are essential mobile capabilities for retailers."
- 41 percent of consumers plan to increase their shopping frequency on their phone or tablet within two years.
- 41 percent of retailers plan to improve the mobile shopping experience to ensure they are meeting their customers' expectations.
- 67 percent of consumers are likely to shop with a retailer that offers mobile coupons instead of one that doesn't offer them.
- 40 percent of retailers indicate that offering coupons/ discounts is a key feature to offer on their mobile app/website.
- 39 percent of consumers are comfortable with mobile identification when they walk in the store to personalize the experience.
- 61 percent of retailers plan to identify customers when they walk in the store using their mobile device and WiFi.
Download the complete Special Report: The Mobilization of Retail.