"The change exchange": Helping women find networks of support
T.J.Maxx and Mindy Kaling launch pen pal program
With change occurring at a fundamental level this past year, T.J.Maxx sought to understand how women were navigating unexpected changes, both big and small. A recent survey* by the brand's purpose-driven initiative -The Maxx You Project - uncovered that 1 in 2 women desire "access to other women" when experiencing personal change, and 80% want more networks of support to help encourage them.
In its fifth year, The Maxx You Project is launching The Change Exchange, an empowering letter-writing program designed to help women connect with each other and feel supported as they navigate moments of change. With The Change Exchange, The Maxx You Project is continuing its mission to support women as they navigate who they are and who they are becoming.
Actor, producer, and New York Times best-selling author Mindy Kaling is partnering with T.J.Maxx to kick off The Change Exchange, sharing her personal story of change and encouraging other women to do the same by signing up for the program. Two lucky participants will have the chance to become surprise pen pals with Kaling.
How it Works:
- Starting today through September 20th, participants can sign up for The Change Exchange pen pal program via maxxyouproject.com, create an account, fill out a short questionnaire and be matched with a pen pal. When filling out the questionnaire, participants will select if they want to exchange letters digitally via the exchange portal or receive The Change Exchange stationery kit to send physical letters. This program is free of charge.
- Once matched, participants will receive an email notification to learn more about their new pen pal. Participants who are corresponding via physical letters will receive information via mail on how to connect with their pen pal.
- For every sign up between today and September 20th, T.J.Maxx will donate $10 to global not-for-profit organization Dress for Success - up to $100,000 - to encourage women to pursue the changes they want through a network of support, development tools and professional attire.
Throughout September, T.J.Maxx will co-host three virtual writing workshops on Instagram Live via @tjmaxx, partnering with six inspiring women. The workshops are designed to give pen pal participants additional resources to connect with their match as they expand their networks of support. Each workshop will be moderated by author and life coach Laura Berman Fortgang and feature two hosts who will guide women on their change journeys, including:
- Corinne Foxx (actress) and Aija Mayrock (activist): "Welcoming Change & Transformation", September 2nd at 7PM ET
- Danielle Prescod (entrepreneur) and to-be-confirmed co-host: "Embracing Your Individuality", September 9th at 6PM ET
- Julie Murphy (author) and Olivia Muenter (writer): "Tapping Into Your Support Network", September 13th at 8PM ET
As part of the program's mission to help women embrace their individuality through the power of community year-round, T.J.Maxx created the Women Embracing Change Facebook group. The group is committed to fostering conversation among women, providing them with resources to build their networks of support and tools to navigate life's changes with confidence.